Thursday, August 30, 2012

Quicky Reviews: 10 Indy books


Lately, I've discovered that I'm reading a lot more books than I am reviewing so I'm going to try and catch up. Since I've been immersed in the independent publishing world, I've been reading a lot of Indie books, so most of these are not mainstream. If someone out there wants a more in-depth review of a book, feel free to ask.

Historically, I've generally not been a critical reader or cognizant of grammatical errors, unless they are egregious, but the more I've been studying grammar as writer, the more aware of it I've become. I hope I don't get to be one of these grammar crazed readers, but I've already seen it happening. Sigh.

No Rating - Too many grammar errors for me to read.  Will try again if they get it edited.             
*          = terrible, avoid
***      = a decent read
*****  = amazingly amazing

No Rating Books
  • The Wisdom of Evil by Scarlet Black
    This book needs a serious edit before I can read it.
  • Shadow of Death by Karen Dales
    Same as above.
  • The Ghost Hunters Club by L.K. Jay
    This is a competently written book, but it reads like an English episode of Sex in the City. It's a nice peek into British life, but I was hoping for a bit more action. I think this is a case of the Not My Kind Of Book misunderstanding. As far as I got, it did not appear to be urban fantasy as I had assumed.


2 Star books.
  • Bite Me by Parker Blue
    Bite Me reads like someone made a checklist for what would make a good urban fantasy. Kick butt hero? Check. Crisis in hero's personal life?
    Check. Conflicted love interest? Check. Irreverent, snarky sidekick? Check. It only caught my interest near the end. Perhaps I would have enjoyed it more if I hadn't read so many books like it.
  • A Lucky Break by Terry Callister
    A long, slow book about a man who discovers he can time travel. This is a simple wish fulfillment book and explores just how cool time travel would be. Not much drama.
3.5 Star books
  • Glamour by Penelope Fletcher
    I read Glamour last year and the details are fuzzy, but there are scenes from the book that
    have made enough impression on me to be lodged in my brain. I still remember clearly enjoying this interesting novel. Some new and old ideas mixed together in a pleasant way.
  • Lady of Devices by Shelly Adina
    A steampunk novel about a high born lady laid low, who lifts herself up with her steampunk engineering. I plan to read the sequel I just discovered. I suspect it will get even better.
4 star books.
  • Vampire Games by J.R. Rain
    I really like this entire series. Samantha Moon is a mother first, a vampire second, and a private investigator third. She is a refreshing change of pace in the Vampire genre's cast of characters. She's a mother who never asked to be a vampire and never wanted to be one. My only beef? These are more like novellas than full length novels.

  • The Dark Path by Luke Romyn
    The opening scenes of this book hit me as terribly gruesome, but the rest of the book didn't follow that path, which is a good thing for me. I enjoyed this story of a man beyond redemption who yet chooses to do the right thing.

  • Zero Sight by Justin Shier
    A fun, well written book. Well worth the read.











No comments:

Post a Comment